Colby Larson’s practice is concentrated on commercial real estate and business transactions. He advises all types of clients, including, homebuilders, developers, investors, borrowers and lenders, in all stages of real estate transactions, development matters, secured financing transactions (including refinancing) and business transactions. Colby’s experience includes preparing and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, option agreements, commercial leases, joint development agreements, easements, real estate backed loan documents, entity formation documents and corporate documents. Colby advises clients on the planning, development and formation of master planned communities, shopping centers and commercial and residential developments. He also regularly counsels associations and developers in forming and drafting condominium documents, CCRs and other community governance documents.
Prior to joining Gibson Knecht PC as a shareholder, Colby worked as a senior real estate associate at a mid-size Phoenix based law firm, and as a real estate associate at large, international law firm. Colby has also served as a legal intern at one of the nation’s largest providers of title insurance and escrow services, where he drafted research memoranda, complaints and motions related to title disputes.
Professional Recognition and Activities
Southwest Super Lawyers® Rising Star, Real Estate (2020; 2021)
The Best Lawyers in America© (2022)
Education and Honors
James E. Rogers College of Law - The University of Arizona, J.D., 2012
Arizona Law Review
Magna Cum Laude
The University of Arizona, B.S., in Finance, 2009
Summa Cum Laude
Member - State Bar of Arizona
- Represented owners, investors and developers on the acquisition, disposition, financing, re-financing and development of residential apartment and condominium communities.
- Engaged as counsel for investor and developers in the acquisition and subsequent disposition of apartment portfolios.
- Counsel to investors in the sale of manufactured housing developments.
Office, Retail, Warehouse and Self-Storage
- Represented investors and developers in the purchase and sale of multi-tenant office, retail, shopping center, warehouse and self-storage projects.
- Engaged as counsel to investors and developers in the acquisition of high-rise office buildings.
- Represented developers and investors in the development and acquisition of mixed use retail, office and shopping center projects.
- Counsel to developers in the acquisition of office condominium projects and subsequent leasing and disposition of office condo units.
- Represented residential and retail/commercial developers in the formation of condominium and property owners’ associations, including the drafting of CCRs, bylaws and articles of incorporation.
- Advised condominium developers on construction contracts, easements, platting and retail sales materials.
- Represented homebuilders in acquisition and development of master planned residential communities, including communities with golf course amenities.
- Engaged as counsel to homebuilders and investors in the negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, option agreements, rolling lot sales and landbanking transactions.
- Represented landowners, farmers and ranchers in the sale and disposition of large tracts of land to homebuilders and developers.
- Advised homebuilders and investors in Arizona State Land Department auctions, including joint venture agreements.
- Represented commercial lenders in documenting loan transactions and preparation of loan documents.
- Advised lenders in structuring and securing multi-state loan portfolios, including a portfolio of 30+ commercial properties and a portfolio of 16+ hotels.
- Represented lenders and investors in loan sale transactions.
- Engaged as counsel to borrowers for the negotiation and review of loan documents.
- Engaged as local counsel to out of state borrowers and attorneys for the issuance of Arizona opinion letters and review of state specific loan provisions.
- Represented tenants and landlords in retail, office and warehouse lease transactions.
- Advised lenders, banks and developers with ground lease transactions.